This page has been visited by 97 people.
Traditional Astrology Online Course
Online lessons will be held weekly for two hours. The first lesson will be held on November 25th at 9:30 Pasific time, 7:30pm Istanbul, Turkey and will continue each Saturday at the same time. The tutor is Öner Döşer.
The course will be held in English. The students may archive the lessons for a certain period of time and watch them at a later time.
The fee for each four lessons is 100USD (80 Pounds / 90 Euros). The fee should be paid in the first week of each four lessons. For payment details please email to email@example.com
Students who attend all lessons during 28 weeks will be presented a COMPLETION CERTICATE.
The course will be held under three main titles as Delineation, Significators and Prediction. For the flow of the program please go to the end of this page.
What is traditional astrology?
“Traditional Astrology” is the sum of all branches of astrology before the 1700s, especially in the Western world which also includes Hellenistic Astrology, Medieval Astrology and Renaissance Astrology.
Traditional Astrology is divided into three different periods. First of them is the “Hellenistic Astrology” or “Ancient Greek Astrology” which emerged following the discovery of horoscope astrology and which included everything written in Greek and Latin and has been efficient until the 5th century. The second is the “Medieval Astrology” which represented the development of Greek Astrology by the Arabic, Persian, Muslim and Jewish astrologers and their works embraced by the Latin world. The third is the “Renaissance Astrology” starting from the 1500s when the medieval knowledge was reformed and lasted till the 1700s.
During the Traditional Astrology lessons, we will start with the 1st century AD and give samples from the approaches and techniques of Manilius, Dorotheus of Sidon, Cladius Ptolemy, Vettius Valens, Julius Firmicus Maternus and Alexandrinus Paulus. We will particularly work on the techniques of Masha’Allah, Omar Tiberiades, Abu Ali Al-Khayat, Abu Ma’shar, Al-Kindi, Al-Qabisi (Alcabitius), Zahel, Haly, Abenragel, Al-Biruni, Ibn Ezra and Guido Bonatus. We will also see the techniques used in Renaissance Astrology by Johannes Schöner, Jean Baptiste Morin, Jerome Cardan, Henry Coley and William Lilly. Within this wide range, we will mainly deal with the techniques of Medieval Astrology.
Why should we learn traditional astrology?
Traditional astrology techniques provide us the talents to delineate the objective reality of the native, his primary motivations and his life events like marriage, births and characteristics of his children; his profession, finances, health, family, spiritual life and to analyse all parts of his existence and to make predictions for the future. The key of an accurate prediction depends on the good analysis of the celestial map. Therefore, how to analyse a chart accurately should be learnt throughly.
The techniques of traditional astrology are consistent and technical. Traditional astrology sets up the rules for the chart analysis and predictions are based on this analysis. It predicts the general flow of the life; first divides it into big parts and then divides these parts into smaller time periods. This represents a deduction approach.
When we learn how to read our chart accurately, we may give up pushing the limits which make us unhappy and through the discovery of our true potential and talents we may see in which fields of life we may find happiness and success. Consequently, we may save time and tend towards right directions. Through accurate analysis, we may see the path we follow, what is expected in the future, when we will be successful or unsuccessful or we may determine the right timinig for our initiatives.
Through the help of traditional astrology techniques, we may make accurate analysis and accurate predictions. However, we should not expect a total precision in these predictions because our knowledge is limited; we may only make prediction but only God knows what will happen. Anyone who is occupied in astrology should know his place and limits.
What are the differences between Traditional Astrology and Modern Astrology?
Below, you may see the differences between the traditional astrology and modern astrology in terms of general approach and techniques. Here, I just want to specify the differences between these two, not to ascertain which of them works best.
* The main difference between traditional astrology and modern astrology is that as modern astrology deals with the native’s psychology, it approaches the chart as an entity which is only related with the native. However, according to traditional astrology the instruments in the native’s chart are not only related with the native’s personality or his belongings because the significators related with the native are the sign in ASC, the ruler of the ASC and the planets placed in the 1st house. Planets which make an aspect with the ASC degree also signify the native’s personality. Consequently, other planets represent the other people and the events in the native’s life, not his personality. Predictions are also based on this rule because in traditional astrology predictions may only be made through determining the significators. Traditional techniques focus on objective realities, not on psychological development. Predicting who or what will be influenced when certain impacts occur is important. That’s why, delineation of the houses is also important in traditional astrology. For instance, when we are talking about the 7th house, traditional astrology is not concerned with the relations or the marriage of the native as modern astrology does. Traditional astrology is concerned with if the native will marry, what kind of a person he would marry with, how will his marriage be, if he would be happy in his marriage and the possible consequences of this marriage.
* Modern astrology considers the chart as a whole. Traditional astrology focuses on different areas of life and determines some special significators, like significators related with marriage, children, career, health or finances, in order to find out possible situations which may occur in different areas of life.
* Traditional astrology is not primarily concerned with the aspects between the planets and other planets or reference points of the chart; this is a secondary approach in traditional astrology. However in modern astrology, aspects carry primary importance. In traditional astrology, it is important if an aspect is separating or applying. This approach, which is crucial in Horary Astrology, is also used in Natal Astrology. Modern astrology is not concerned with if an aspect is applying or separating. In modern astrology, aspects have certain tolerances, whereas in traditional astrology tolerances are only valid for the planets not for the aspects.
* In traditional astrology there are no psychological analyses but there are character analyses which are not indepth analyses as they are in modern psychology. For example, in traditional astrology charts are not categorised with their patterns (locomotive, bucket, bowl, etc.). In modern astrology, chart patterns are used in order to understand the native’s psychology and his interests in differenf areas of life. Similarly, Moon phases (new moon, full moon, balsamic moon, etc) are also important in modern astrology to find out the native’s tendencies whereas these are not used in traditional astrology.
* In traditional astrology Ptolemic aspects, which are sextile, square, trine, opposition and conjunction are used whereas in modern astrology minor aspects are also taken into consideration (especially semi-square (45°), sesquiquadrate (135°) and quincunx (150°). Additionally, aspect patterns like T-square, Grand Square, Grand Trine and YOD are not included in traditional methods. However, in modern astrology interpreting these aspect patterns are especially important.
* In modern astrology, a planet which is combust or void of course does not carry a distinctive feature. On the other hand, in traditional astrology it is a vital detail.
* In modern astrology, there is no distinction between a diurnal and a nocturnal chart while traditional astrology starts the analysis of a chart considering if the chart is a diurnal or a nocturnal one. Determining the Arabic Parts is also primarily related with if the chart is diurnal or nocturnal.
* Astrologers before the modern age, who were traditional astrologers, did not know Uranus, Neptune and Pluton. On the other hand, in modern astrology these three planets which are called “Generational Planets” and Chiron are highly important in chart interpretation. In modern astrology, and especially lately, asteroids, which were not used in traditional astrology, are also referred in interpretation. Similarly, Hypotetical Planets were not known in traditional era, while they are used in modern astrology. In traditional astrology, only traditional instruments were used: seven traditional planets, Lunar Nodes, Arabic Parts, full moon and new moon degrees before the birth (syzygy or SAN) and fixed stars. On the other hand, most of these instruments are not used in modern astrology or they are used differently then they were in ancient times.
* In traditional astrology, we see that the qualities of the signs are listed instead of making interpretations about them. In ancient texts, we see that there are information on signs about their nature, their style while taking an action, and their physical contributions. On the other hand, in modern astrology elements of the signs are used to delineate the personality of the native.
* In modern astrology Secondary Progressions and Solar Arc are crucial prediction techniques. These techniques were not used during the period when traditional astrology was used. We may see Secondary Progressions in Placidus di Tito’s book named “Primum Mobile” for the first time but this technique has been used during the modern astrology period. Traditional astrology used Primary Progressions, Profections, Directing by Terms and Firdaria techniques which are not frequently used in today’s world. Transits are primarily used in modern astrology while they were only used after other techniques in traditional astrology.
* Modern astrology tends to place a high value on personal freedom and voluntary or unconditional choices of the native. From the persperctive of modern astrology, prediction is in only possible if it is expressed in terms of learning, growth, transformation and objective attitudes. On the other hand, according to traditional astrology, we are only free within certain limits and we may predict future as we may not exceed some limitations determined by our birth charts. From the traditional perspective, the human character does not change but we may only learn how to comply with the changing conditions.
Why should we learn traditional techniques first?
Traditional astrology is rooted in ancient knowledge whereas modern astrology includes the knowledge that started shaping since the latest century. In historical development process, an improvement form the old to the new is logical. Learning astrology starts with learning the methods of traditional astrology. Through a sound and methodical astrology education, advanced techniques and modern methods may be built on a solid basis. Traditional knowledge helps us delve into the origins of modern techniques and it also helps us preserve the prediction techniques, which may only be used with a detailed analysis of the chart, amongst the intensive psychological concepts and the modern currents.
I do not think we should only use the traditional techniques and put modern techniques aside. On the contrary, we should make use of traditional texts and use modern techniques on this basic knowledge skillfully.
The first part of the course, which will last for 28, is the Delineation part which will consist of 12 lessons. The second and third parts, Significators and Prediction parts, will consist of 8 lessons each.
Below, you may find the course schedule and brief notes on each lesson.
The most important contribution of traditional astrology prediction techniques, which provides a stable method, is to allow us define the events objectively that the native may face with. Traditional techniques help us to see and understand the impacts of fate in our lives. The reason that we may see the general flow of our lives together with many details depends on this system and order of fate. We may clearly observe how this system works in the celestial maps. Themes and events of our lives are generally out of our control. This is why we may easily predict many future events accurately. Traditional astrology techniques are consistent and technical. It sets up the ruled for delineation of a chart and for the predictions. For accurate predictions, what the chart promises should be determined.
Lesson 1: Orientation- What is Traditional Astrology? (We will learn the instruments used in traditional astrology and the differences between the traditional astrology and modern astrology)
Lesson 2: Elements, Qualities, Signs (We will be informed on elements and qualities which are important in chart analysis. We will learn the characteristics of the signs and how they are used in traditional astrology)
Lesson 3: Planets and Lunar Nodes (We will be informed on the planets and Lunar Nodes and how they are used in traditional astrology)
Lesson 4: Houses (We will be informed on houses which have a major importance in chart reading and how the houses are used in traditional astrology)
Lesson 5: Dignities and Debilities (Dignities and debilities of the signs within the signs have a major role in chart reading. In this lesson, we will study the dignities and debilities and how they are used in chart reading)
Lesson 6: Aspects (We will learn the aspects and how they are used in chart reading)
Lesson 7: Arabic Parts (Arabic Parts is one of the secondary instruments of traditional astrology. In this lesson, we will study Arabic Parts and how they are used. We will make practices on Part of Spirit, Part of Incarnation and Pars Fortunae)
Lesson 8: Fixed Stars (Fixed stars are one of the important tools used in chart reading. In this lesson we will learn about fixed stars and how they are used)
Lesson 9: Fundamentals of Delineation (1) (We will begin chart reading. We will learn the basic rules of chart reading)
Lesson 10: Fundamentals of Delineation (2) (We will get additional information on chart reading and strengthen our knowledge on chart reading rules)
Lesson 11: Practices on Example Charts (1) (We will work on sample charts in order to strengthen our knowledge and to make practice)
Lesson 12: Practices on Exmple Charts (2) (We will work on sample charts in order to strengthen our knowledge and to make practice)
The fields that attract the attention of the astrologers while determining the main significators in a chart seem to differ rom the ancient astrologers. The main difference of traditional astrology from modern astrology is that it attributes the planets in a chart to other people in the native’s life, not the native himself. After learning the factors which are important in chart reading, significators should be determined. For instance, for marriage we do not only look at the 7th house and its ruler. Or, for career and professional matters we do not only consider the 10th house and its ruler. There are many other additional significators. In this second part of the course, we will learn how to determine the significators in order to answer some specific questions.
Lesson 13: Main Factors in Determining the Significators (We will learn the issues that we should pay attention while determining the significators and how to find out the Almuten which is necessary in determining the significators)
Lesson 14: Significators of Health & Disease (We will learn how to determine the possible health problems in a chart)
Lesson 15: Significators of Fame and Status (We will learn what is promised in a chart related with the native’s recognition and achievement potential, barriers in front of his success and supports he would get)
Lesson 16: Significators of Profession and Career (We will learn what the profession significators in a chart are and how to determine the strongest one amongst them)
Lesson 17: Significators of Finance (We will learn how to determine the significators of finance in a chart and which of them promises the best opportunities for the native)
Lesson 18: Significators of Marriage (We will learn how to determine the significators of marriage in a chart, the number of marriages a native may make or how his marriage would go on)
Lesson 19: Significators of Children (We will learn how to find out if a chart promises children, the number of children promised and the native’s relations with his children)
Lesson 20: Significators of Spirituality, Faith and Wisdom (We will learn how to determine the promises of a chart on spirituality, beliefs and wisdom)
In today’s modern astrology, some prediction techniques including transits, secondary progressions, Solar Return chart, Solar Arc and other predictive techniques are used. Modern astrologers do not know some of the prediction techniques of traditional astrology that a talented astrologer should know. However, the prediction techniques of traditional astrology may have a great contribution due to its high rate of accuracy. Through learning the techniques of traditional astrology, we may get to the bottom of modern methods and grasp the prediction techniques which can be easily applied to a solid chart analysis in addition to today’s currents and psychological concepts.
Lesson 21: Ages of Man Technique (We will learn Ptolemy’s Ages of Man technique and make practices on sample charts)
Lesson 22: Predicting by Triplicity Rulers (We will learn about the triplicity rulers and how to make predictions based on them, which were used widely by Arabic astrologers, and we will make practices on sample charts)
Lesson 23: Directing by Terms (We will learn the technique Directing by Terms and make practices on sample charts)
Lesson 24: Predicting by Firdaria (We will learn prediction through Firdaria technique which is based planetary periods and make practices on sample charts)
Lesson 25: Predicting by Profections (Profection is one of the important prediction techniques used in traditional astrology. In this lesson we will learn how to make predictions based on profection and make practises on sample charts)
Lesson 26: Solar Return Charts (We will learn how to read Solar Return charts and how to make prediction based on this technique and we will make practices on sample charts)
Lesson 27: Lunar Return and Other Planetary Return Charts (We will learn how to read Lunar Return charts and the return charts of other planets, how to make prediction based on this technique and we will make practices on sample charts)
Lesson 28: Transits (We will learn how transits are used in traditional astrology and make practices on sample charts)